23 April 2014

Concerns about a barrister

• If the barrister is acting for you and you are not satisfied with their service you should contact the Legal Ombudsman.

• If the barrister is not acting for you and you want tocomplain about their behaviour, sometimes referred to as professional misconduct, you should contact us.

Examples of professional misconduct include:

  • misleading the court
  • failing to keep information confidential 
  • acting dishonestly or in a way that damages the profession's reputation
  • discriminating against you because or your race, sex, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age or marital/ civil partnership status

In order to make your complaint you will need to download and complete our Complaints Form, which you will find in the 'Resources' box on this page. The form has guidance attached to help you complete the form. 

We would also strongly encourage you to complete and return the Equality Questionnaire at the same time as you send your complaint form, so that we can see how our policies and services affect people from different backgrounds.


Before making a complaint you may find it useful to read our Frequently Asked Questions  (which will provide you with information about expected time frames for dealing with your complaint) and our leaflet on How to make a complaint about a barrister.

Please also contact our Complaints Information Line on 020 7611 1445, if you have access requirements, unanswered questions, or would like advice on the complaints process, and we will be happy to help you.

If you are disabled  and require assistance in making a complaint, please let us know so we can make all reasonable adjustments to ensure that you are not disadvantaged in making your complaint - Please also read our  Frequently Asked Questions for more information.