Our Authorisations Team takes decisions relating to:
- applications for exemptions and waivers from the training requirements of the Bar Qualification Manual;
- the authorisation of BSB entitites;
- the authorisation of Authorised Education and Training Organisations (AETOs);
- the authorisation of individuals to conduct litigation;
- the authorisation of barristers to undertake Public Access work; and
- the authorisation of organisations and individuals to instruct barristers directly under the Licensed Access scheme.
We have a responsibility to safeguard the public in line with our regulatory objectives and when assessing applications from barristers, prospective barristers and organisations we take a risk and evidence based approach. This means that we consider the effect our decisions will have on the public and the profession.
Applications are considered and determined under the powers of our Board, which are delegated to our staff to give them the authority to take these decisions.
When taking our decisions, we refer to the BSB Handbook’s criteria and guidelines and expect those applying to us to supply all the necessary evidence in support of their application.