If you are not happy with the outcome of your report, you should let the Assessment Officer know. While you do not have a right to appeal our decision, we may be able to review the matter and reconsider it if there is a good reason to do this. Decisions taken by our Contact and Assessment Team are primarily reviewed by the Independent Reviewer, who works independently from the department. 

If you want to make a complaint about the service given to you by our staff, then you can use our Service Complaints procedure. More details of this procedure and the form you will need to complete can be found in our section about how to complain about us.

If you are unable to write to us about your service complaint because you have a disability, we can take your complaint over the telephone. We can also offer other reasonable adjustments for those who have a disability. Pease let us know if you require such adjustments.