What we do
We supervise barristers, chambers, BSB-regulated entities, and organisations that train pupils. We do this by carrying out impact and risk assessments and focussing on those that present the highest risk to the Regulatory Objectives and to the public.
We do this through:
- monitoring Continuing Professional Development (CPD) compliance;
- issuing Regulatory Returns to chambers and BSB-regulated entities;
- visiting those we regulate in order to help them manage risk and to comply with our rules;
- conducting thematic reviews into areas of our regulation which pose the biggest threats to our Regulatory Objectives and where we think we might need to change our rules; and
- considering a range of information that we receive about regulated individuals and bodies in order to decide, where necessary, on the appropriate regulatory action to take.
Our Approach to Supervision
We aim to foster a constructive relationship between ourselves and those we regulate. Efficiently run chambers and BSB-regulated entities operating at low risk are in everyone's best interest, resulting in less enforcement action and better protection and promotion of consumers’ interests.
Further details can be found in the Supervision Strategy and Guidance document.
Any queries about Supervision should be directed to email@example.com. Alternatively, the Supervision Team can be contacted through the Bar Standards Board reception at 020 7611 1444.