You can view the Equality Rules here.
The supporting information (which you can download from the links further down this page) includes:
- case studies and detail on legal and/or regulatory requirements for each section of our Equality Rules (eg fair recruitment and parental leave);
- practical guidance for equality and diversity officers and diversity data officers;
- model policies and a model equality and diversity action plan;
- a model diversity data questionnaire; and
- a directory of equality and diversity organisations.
The following guides and templates are available:
- Supporting information for BSB Authorised Bodies on the BSB Handbook Equality Rules;
- Supporting information for chambers on the BSB Handbook Equality Rules; and
- A template Diversity Monitoring Form for chambers and BSB Authorised Bodies;
Our Equality and Access to Justice Team can assist with queries about equality and diversity at the Bar, including our Equality Rules. The Team can be contacted at [email protected].
Other forms of support
The Bar Council offers a range of resources and services to guide the profession on matters of equality and diversity, including:
- a confidential Equality and Diversity Helpline (T: 0207 611 1426; E: [email protected]);
- a Fair Recruitment guide;
- a range of training courses;
- ethical guidance and template policies, on the Bar Council Ethics Hub;
- the “Wellbeing at the Bar” hub; and
- the Equality and Diversity Officers’ Network.
Many chambers and BSB authorised bodies publish equality and diversity related policies on their websites.
The equality and diversity organisations listed in our “Supporting Information” guides may be able to provide guidance and support on matters of equality and diversity.