The BSB Handbook defines an association as follows: "BSB authorised persons are sharing premises and/or costs and/or using a common vehicle for obtaining or distributing work with any person other than a BSB regulated person, in a manner which does not require the association to be authorised as an entity under the Legal Services Act 2007."

Typical examples of associations are:

  • a BSB authorised body who operate in the same building as a non-authorised body and share costs with them;
  • a set of chambers who allow regular use of chambers’ facilities to non-authorised individuals for business purposes;
  • an authorised body who use another company for services such as advertising, call handling etc; and
  • a barrister who works in the same premises as a non-authorised body and shares costs, or a barrister who uses a non-authorised body to obtain business.

If you are in an association on more than a one-off basis then you are required to notify us in accordance with rule rc80 of the BSB handbook. You can report this through our online reporting form.

Supervision of an immigration adviser

Where you enter into an arrangement to supervise an immigration adviser, this will be classed as an association.

You must provide details of your supervision arrangements by completing the Immigration Advisers Associations Form. You can access the form.

Once you have completed the form email it to:

  1. the BSB’s Supervision team at [email protected] if you are a self-employed barrister; or
  2. the BSB’s Entity Regulation team at [email protected] if you are a BSB entity.

You should read our Barristers Supervising Immigration Advisers Guidance before completing this form.

Download the Immigration Advisers Associations Form