Our fees are charged on a cost-recovery basis. A full list is available at the bottom of this section.
In some circumstances you may be able to make fee payments via an instalment plan. Please contact us for further guidance on instalment plans.
Please note that we do not
- accept cheques in payment of application fees.
- accept payment prior to us sending an email to you confirming that your application has been received and logged by us
- pay bank fees and charges in respect of international payments
Please note that you must
- submit your application before you pay the prescribed fee
- ensure that you quote the correct reference on your payment (ie the ID number that is sent to you in your confirmation email)
- pay any international banking charges in addition to the prescribed fee (your bank should be able to advise you on this)
All fees must now be paid:
- by direct bank transfer. You will receive an ID number in our confirmation email which you must use as a reference when making payment. Please send a screenshot by email to the Authorisations Team; or
- by telephone, using a credit/debit card. If you wish to pay by credit/debit card, please contact the Authorisations Team on 020 7611 1444 (10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday).
|Application Type||Application Fee|
|Authorisation to Conduct Litigation||£90|
|Certificate of Academic Standing||£200|
|Designation as a Legal Advice Centre||£165|
|Early commencement of the Vocational Component||£165|
|European Lawyer - Registration (Swiss Lawyers only)||£440|
|Exemption (Non-England and Wales Degree Provider)||£275|
|Exemption (Professional Qualifications)||£550|
|Exemption (England and Wales Degree Provider)||£550|
|Exercise of Discretion||£220|
|Licensed Access - Amendment/Renewal||£100|
|Licensed Access - Authorisation||£200|
|Licensed Access - Professional Association/Ombudsman||£200|
|New Practitioners Programme (NPP) - Extension||£135|
|New Practitioners Programme (NPP) - Waiver||£135|
|OISC Licensed Access - Level 2 and/or Level 3 Registration||£50 pro rata|
|OISC Licensed Access - Level 2 and/or Level 3 Renewal||£50|
|Public Access Rules - Exemption||£165|
|Pupillage Funding, Advertising & Recruitment Requirements - Waiver||£100|
|Pupillage Reduction (Barrister also qualified as a Solicitor)||£55|
|Qualified Person Requirement Waiver||£165|
|Reactivation of Stale Qualifications||£220|
|Review of a Practising Certificate Decision||£200|
|Review of an Entity Authorisation Decision||£200|
|Transferring Qualified Lawyer - Admission for Law Teachers, Qualified European Lawyers, Qualified Foreign Lawyers, Registered European Lawyers, Transferring Solicitors, and Persons with Rights of Audience granted by another Approved Regulator (other than the SRA)||£440|
|Vocational Component Exemption (Bar Exam for non-intending practitioners)||£165|
When paying by BACS, you must ensure that the BSB receives the full amount in Sterling: ie you must pay all charges of your bank and agents charges, including those of the BSB. This may include a handling charge levied by RBS if the issuing bank does not pay all bank charges.
Royal Bank of Scotland
Childs, Fleet Street
General Council of the Bar
Bank Identifier Code (BIC):
International Bank Account No (IBAN):
If you decide not to progress your application with us, you should submit a request to withdraw your application via email to email@example.com.
When submitting a request for a refund you must provide us with the bank details used to make the original payment. You should ensure that the bank details and payment reference match exactly otherwise the automated payment system will reject the payment.
If you have overpaid the application fee, we will contact you directly to arrange a refund to your nominated bank account.
You should allow 15 working days for us to process your refund request.
Please be advised that we do not cover the cost of international banking and we will recover the cost of any international banking charges from your refund.
We are unable to process your application until we have received the total amount of the required fee.
If we have not received the full payment and we have not approved either a Fee Waiver or Instalment Plan, we will contact you to request the outstanding amount and your application will be suspended pending receipt of the funds.
- I was advised that an Officer would contact me about my application by 26 July - why haven’t heard anything yet?
The officer may not have been able to get through on the telephone number we hold, do contact Sam Jensen via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will arrange a mutually convenient time to discuss your application with you.
- Why haven’t I received any emails?
We may not have the correct contact information for you – contact Sam Jensen via email at email@example.com
- I submitted my application in 2019 and it still hasn’t been assessed, what should I do?
We apologise for the delay in contacting you. Your application may be queued for assessment or might need further information. Contact Sam Jensen via email to arrange a discussion about your application.
- I’m waiting to hear, but want to take on pupils in 2022 can I advertise?
You can continue to advertise and recruit under your current PTO authorisation, the team will continue to process your application in the background. The transition process should be seamless and the officer assigned to your application will support and guide through the process.
- The pandemic has meant that we have deferred our pupillages and may not recruit until 2022 for pupillages in 2023, do I still need to apply?
If you intend to offer pupillage in the future (beyond March 2022) then you should apply under the transitional arrangements, even if you may not offer pupillages until 2023 or later. If you do not apply under the transitional arrangements your current authorisation will naturally expire on 31 March 2022. If you want to recruit pupils after your authorisation has expired you will need to complete a ‘new’ application which is subject to a £250 administration fee.
Please see our detailed guidance on the PTO to AETO transition process.