Law degrees

Entrance requirements for full-time undergraduate law degrees differ from university to university or college to college. Full details can be obtained from the Universities and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS).

Applications for part-time undergraduate law degrees or Senior Status law degrees for graduates should be made directly to the institution concerned.

Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)

If you have a degree which is in a subject other than law, or you have a law degree but you graduated more than five years ago or your law degree did not include each of the seven foundation subjects, you will need to complete a conversion course commonly referred to as a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL). There are a number of institutions validated by us and the Solicitors Regulation Authority to run GDL courses. Copies of GDL Handbooks and a list of GDL courses are available on the Central Applications Board website.

Applications for full-time courses are made through a central application system run by the Central Applications Board.

Applications for part-time and distance learning courses should be made directly to the institution concerned.

More information the rules and requirements relating to the academic component can be found in Part 2 of the Bar Qualification Manual. If you have any questions about academic requirements, please email [email protected].