1) Qualified Foreign Lawyers (QFLs) may apply to the BSB for admission to the Bar of England and Wales. For a copy of the application form and guidelines for this purpose, please see Part 2D (D1) of the Bar Qualification Manual.
2) If a QFL needs to appear in court in England and Wales to conduct a specific case (or cases) only, they may apply to the BSB for Temporary Call rather than full admission.
3) The rules regarding Temporary Call to the Bar are set out in the BSB Handbook at Rules Q25-Q28.
Application process – Temporary Call to the Bar
4) The applicant must be able to identify the cases for which Temporary Call is sought. It is therefore helpful if the solicitors who wish to instruct the applicant give that information as part of the application for Temporary Call.
5) If the application is successful, the applicant will be issued a Temporary Qualification Certificate by the BSB (Rule Q26 of the BSB Handbook), which they should present to their chosen Inn when seeking to be Called.
6) Temporary Call to the Bar ends automatically on conclusion of the case (or cases) for which the applicant was temporarily called.
7) The application form and guidelines for Temporary Call to the Bar can be found on our waivers, exemptions and other applications page.