30 November 2015

Facing a complaint?

If you are a barrister or authorised body facing a complaint (either internal or external), or if you are interested in finding out more about the complaints and enforcement process, you may find it useful to:

Assistance for barristers facing a complaint

BMIF: The Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund (BMIF) can provide advice and representation while we are investigating a complaint, and in relation to any disciplinary action that may follow. You can phone the BMIF on 020 7621 0405.

BCAS: The Bar Council operates the Barrister's Complaints Advisory Service (BCAS). This is a list of barristers who have volunteered to provide free advice and/or representation to barristers subject to a complaint or disciplinary action.