A The academic component
This section relates to the academic component of training for the Bar.
- A1 Foundations of Legal Knowledge
- A2 Completing the academic component – Law Degrees
- A3 Completing the academic component – conversion courses
- A4 Certificates of Academic Standing
- A5 Exemptions from individual subjects
- A6 Stale qualifications
- A7 Common Protocol on the academic component of training
- A8 Oversight of the academic component
B The vocational component
This section relates to the vocational component of training for the Bar.
The vocational component of Bar training is currently fulfilled by completion of the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC). From September 2020, there will be different ways to satisfy the vocational component. For more information, visit our page on what courses will be available from 2020.
- B1 The Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
- B2 BPTC Syllabus 2019-20
- B3 The Bar Course Aptitude Test (BCAT)
- B4 Centralised Assessments
- B5 Exemptions and waivers
This section sets out the requirements relating to pupillage for both pupils and authorised education and training organisations (AETOs) providing pupillage.
- C1 Overview and structure of pupillage
- C2 Responsibilities of AETOs
- C3 Responsibilities of pupils
- C4 The role of the Circuits and Specialist Bar Associations (SBAs)
- C5 Assessment of pupils and compulsory courses
- C6 Authorisation to practise
- C7 Exemptions and waivers
- C8 Support and advice for pupils
D Transferring qualified lawyers
This section is for qualified solicitors, qualified lawyers from other jurisdictions, and legal academics who want to transfer to practice at the Bar of England and Wales.
- D1 Types of transferring lawyers
- D2 Transfer route – full exemption
- D3 Transfer route – partial exemption
- D4 The Bar Transfer Test (BTT)
- D5 Temporary Call to the Bar
E Reviews and appeals
Individuals or organisations may submit a request for review of a decision of the Bar Standards Board, and a further appeal to the High Court, in line with Bar Qualification Rules (Rules Q35-Q40). This section sets out the process you must follow.