The BSB regulates individual barristers but we want, in partnership with the profession, to explore how we can support chambers to be more effective and consistent forces for high standards, for equality and inclusion, and for access to justice. There is much good practice out there – good practice in implementing the regulations we do make, but also in going beyond our rules. We are keen to share that good practice and through that, help others meet the expectations we set on chambers.
Under our three-year-Strategy, we are working more collaboratively with the profession and others in pursuing what we know are often common objectives.
As part of this work, our Chair Kathryn Stone OBE, along with our Director General, Mark Neale, set up a number of meetings around the Circuits between late 2022-early 2023 to meet Heads of Chambers. At these meeting we discussed the role of chambers in promoting standards, equality and access to justice and how we can consolidate and promote best practice in chambers’ oversight of standards, equality and access. We held meetings in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds and Newcastle.
The Board has now considered the findings from these roundtables and decided to set up a further series of roundtables to consult on our proposal to bring together BSB regulation as it applies to barristers in chambers.
The dates of this series of roundtables are as follows:
- London - Thursday 9 November 2023, 5.30pm -7pm at the BSB offices (289-293 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7HZ).
- Manchester- Tuesday 5 December 2023, 5.30pm -7pm at Deans Court Chambers (24 St. John Street, Manchester, M3 4DF).
- Leeds- Thursday January 11 2024, 5.30pm -7pm at Park Square Barristers (6 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2LW).
- Swansea- Thursday 18 January 2024, 5.30pm -7pm at Angel Chambers (Ethos Building, Kings Road, Swansea, SA1 8AS).
- London- Tuesday 23 January 2024, 5.30pm -7pm at the BSB offices (289-293 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7HZ).
- Newcastle- Thursday 1 February 2024, 5.30pm -7pm at Trinity Chambers (The Custom House, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3DE).
- Bristol- Wednesday 7 February 2024, 5.30pm -7pm at St. John’s Chambers (101 Victoria Street, Bristol, BS1 6PU).
- Birmingham- Thursday 22 February 2024, 5.30pm -7pm at St Ives Chambers (1-3 Whittall Street, Birmingham, B4 6DH).
- Brighton- Thursday 29 February 20245.30pm -7pm, at 1 Crown Office Row (119 Church Street, Brighton, BN1 1UD).
Should you like to attend any of these events, please e-mail [email protected] as soon as possible, stating any accessibility and dietary requirements.