14 October 2019

Insurance Requirements for Self-Employed Barristers

If you hold a self-employed practising certificate, you must be a member of the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund (BMIF). The only exception is where we have previously granted you a waiver from the requirement. Insurance premiums must be paid promptly to the BMIF together with such information as the BMIF may require.

You should be aware that we check our records against the records of the BMIF to verify individual declarations and we will take appropriate action in cases of non-compliance.