25 August 2019

Professional Indemnity Insurance

If you hold a self-employed practising certificate, you must be a member of the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund (BMIF). The only exception is where the BSB has previously granted you a waiver from the requirement to be a member of BMIF on the basis that you are only practising in another jurisdiction and fully insured there. Insurance premiums must be paid promptly to the BMIF together with such information as the BMIF may require.

You should be aware that we check our records against the records of the BMIF to verify individual declarations and we will take appropriate action in cases of non-compliance.

BMIF is required to provide insurance which at least meets the minimum cover outlined in the Bar Standards Board: Minimum Terms of Cover for Self Employed Barristers.